This past Sunday, August 18th, the Chain NYC Film Festival held their award ceremony. This is the first annual festival for the new theatre in the Long Island City neighborhood of Queens. Despite their short history, the festival was able to feature an amazingly complex and impressive range of films, and it was an honor to have my film 16 Photographs At Ohrdruf selected for the festival. The award ceremony was great way to meet many of the other filmmakers and to celebrate all their hard work.
That morning, 16 Photographs executive producer Jason Egan was on hand for the special Best of Fest screenings. At the same time, editor Michael Equi and I were driving down from Boston, and we all met up for the awards.
Festival creator and director Kirk Gostkowski was a charming and funny host. It’s obvious that he truly loves film, and wants to support actors and directors. He started things off at 8pm with a number of awards for short films (and super shorts, a category new to me) followed by the features. Below is the full list of award winners, and you can see trailers and get more info at the Chain NYC website.
The big four awards were presented last. These were for NY Filmmaker, Best Narrative Feature, Best Documentary and Best of Fest. 16 Photographs At Ohrdruf won Best Documentary!
The Chain Theatre and the team there are wonderful, supportive and creative folks and I think what they are doing is extraordinary. Awards aside, I think it is a place worth supporting. Keep an eye on their website, they are just getting started and are on track to program some great an innovative film, theatre and live performances. I’m so glad I got to meet them.
- Best Musical Short: Naked
- Best Suspense Short: Ta
- Best Comedy Short: Mama Needs A Ride
- Best Action Short: Citizen 54
- Best International Short: Clouds
- Best Narrative Super Short: And How!
- Best Documentary Super Short: Ganesh Is Fresh
- Best Cinematography of A Short: The Estate
- Best Actor in a Short: Kresh Novakovic for Tammy
- Best Actress in a Short: Cathy Moriarity for Tammy
- Best Director of A Documentary Short: Richard Uhlig and Don Cato for My Kansas
- Best Documentary Short: My Kansas
- Best Director of a Narrative Short: Cidney Hue for Odessa
- Best Narrative Short: Odessa
- Best Director of A Documentary Feature: Bob Baldori for Boogie Stomp!
- Best Cinematography: Saturnalia
- Best Ensemble: Theresa Is A Mother
- Best Actor: Will Chase for The Butterflies of Bill Baker
- Best Actress: Virginia Dutton for Saturnalia
- Best Actress: C. Frasier Press for Theresa Is A Mother
- Best Director of a Narrative: Darren Press and C. Fraiser Press for Theresa Is A Mother
- Personal Stories: The Lady in Number 6
- Original Ideas: Christopher Malinowski for Yes, Your Tide Is Cold and Dark, Sir
- New Work: Unforgettable Fire: *the story of a U2 Tribute Band
Best of Fest:
- NY Filmmaker Award: Richard Uhlig and Don Cato for My Kansas
- Best Doumentary Feature: 16 Photographs at Ohrdruf
- Best Narrative Feature: Theresa Is A Mother
- Best of Fest: Boogie Stomp!
Categorised as: 16 Photographs At Ohrdruf